For all of you parents out there, I know you understand the phrase "love at first sight." When you see your child for the first time, that is the exact feeling you have. I don't understand how anybody could look at their child and not feeling anything for them but unconditional, uncontrollable, overflowing love.
My first glance at Jaela was only that--a glance. The doctors showed her face to me, and Josh got to briefly hold her and show her to me before they took her to NICU. As stated in my earlier posts, my diabetes caused the doctors to take several extra precautions. One of these was wisking my child up to NICU for a few hours to make sure that her blood sugars regulated on their own. Those few hours were the longest hours of my life.
My recovery time took awhile, as we had to wait for the epidural to wear off properly. I had a few bouts of feeling short of breath, but my O2 sats were fine. I also had some pretty decent shaking, which is perfectly normal according to the nurses.
So finally I was brought out of recovery and taken to my room. We got all settled into my room, and the nurse called up to NICU to see when they were ready for us. Finally about midnight, they said that Josh and I could go see our baby. As we went up, our anticipation grew stronger and stronger. We came to her room, and got our first good looks at her. She was perfect: cute chubby cheeks, big beautiful eyes, dark black hair, and a nice loud set of lungs.
I really can't imagine not having her. My life feels so much more complete with her in it. Even with knowing that we have some long nights ahead, with numerous frustrations and dirty diapers and spit up, I still look forward to raising her. She is such a blessing in our lives and we are thankful each minute, hour and day that we have with her.
My first glance at Jaela was only that--a glance. The doctors showed her face to me, and Josh got to briefly hold her and show her to me before they took her to NICU. As stated in my earlier posts, my diabetes caused the doctors to take several extra precautions. One of these was wisking my child up to NICU for a few hours to make sure that her blood sugars regulated on their own. Those few hours were the longest hours of my life.
My recovery time took awhile, as we had to wait for the epidural to wear off properly. I had a few bouts of feeling short of breath, but my O2 sats were fine. I also had some pretty decent shaking, which is perfectly normal according to the nurses.
So finally I was brought out of recovery and taken to my room. We got all settled into my room, and the nurse called up to NICU to see when they were ready for us. Finally about midnight, they said that Josh and I could go see our baby. As we went up, our anticipation grew stronger and stronger. We came to her room, and got our first good looks at her. She was perfect: cute chubby cheeks, big beautiful eyes, dark black hair, and a nice loud set of lungs.
I really can't imagine not having her. My life feels so much more complete with her in it. Even with knowing that we have some long nights ahead, with numerous frustrations and dirty diapers and spit up, I still look forward to raising her. She is such a blessing in our lives and we are thankful each minute, hour and day that we have with her.

No comments:
Post a Comment